Now that the temperatures have plunged, soups are back on the menu! Richly coloured veggies like winter squash and sweet potato are an excellent source of carotenes. Squash also boasts being a source of vitamin C, the B’s, and fiber. Together this equals many health benefits including boosting the immune system, aiding the digestive system, and helping to cope with stress. This soup is an old favourite, so be sure to make extra to freeze, or bring to a friend’s. Enjoy!
- 3 leeks cleaned and sliced
- 2 tbsp butter / extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 medium winter squash peeled, seeded, cut into large pieces
- 1 large sweet potato/yam peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups organic chicken/vegetable stock
- Chili pepper flakes (optional)
In a large pot, sauté leeks in butter/oil stirring for 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add salt, pepper, thyme, honey and cook, stirring 2-3 minutes. Add squash, sweet potato/yam, and jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes. Add chicken/vegetable stock, bring to a boil and simmer 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Cool soup slightly and puree until smooth in blender or food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning. Return to pot and heat through. To finish sprinkle red chili pepper flakes over each serving.